Thursday, September 29, 2005

 

GPCI - Niagara Peninsula - wineries tasting notes

Dear GPCI fans,
After more than a year, I'm trying to take my newsletter to "the next level" and provide you with my personal opinion on wines and share with you some of my tasting notes...

To join the Ontario wine celebrations that are ending this month, I traveled south to the Niagara Peninsula region and tried some wines from the less known (to me..) yet with good reputation wineries (at least in the books I've recently read).

In the list below, you'll find short (who has time to read too much these days...) tasting notes about 18 wines from 8 different wineries.
the rating is a scale of 5 where:
1 / 5 - poor - not my type
2 / 5 - poor to average (ok) - not exciting enough
3 / 5 - average to good
4 / 5 - good to very-good
5 / 5 - excellent / WOW

I feel the need to clarify that sometimes what I find as an "OK" wine can be considered by others as poor or very good wine - I'm just using my personal taste and the expectations I have from the wines I'm tasting...
Please feel free to think differently - there are no rights or wrongs when it comes to wine. YOU are the only ones who really know what's good for you!

Enjoy, Gaby.

* * *

Willow Heights Estate Winery - GPCI - 2.5 out of 5

Tasted "THE" wines of the winery;


Malivoire(Gravity flow winery. Organic) - GPCI - 4 out of 5
High quality - small yields approach.

Kacaba Vineyards
Tasted the top 3 red wines from the great 2002 red wine vintage; good quality but relatively expensive. GPCI - 3.5 out of 5

Cave Spring
Tasted 2 top CHARDONNAY and one Syrah: GPCI - 3.5 out of 5 (almost 4 if it wasn't for the Syrah)

Creekside Estate Winery
Great value for quality. The fact that the winemaker is from Australia is felt in the wines. GPCI - 3.5 out of 5 (the Chardonnay was a bit "too simple").

Coyote's Run : GPCI - 3 out of 5

Lailey : GPCI - 1.5 out of 5
Cab Sauv, Cab Frank and Foch - Unfortunately, all wines tasted were not meeting the expectations, too simple, "flat", "watery" type of wines. Maybe the samples that were provided were opened too long...

Jackson-Triggs ; GPCI - 4.5 out of 5






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?